Portion sizes

Home Forums General FMD Forum Portion sizes

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  TinaCat 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Pixie

Hi from a newbie from the UK.

I bought the book this week and started the diet today but the portion sizes seem huge!

Are the portion sizes on page 105 of the book (eg 4oz meat, 9oz cooked grains) per meal or per day? When I made dinner there was enough for two.

I’m not a serial dieter so it isn’t that.

There are also several of the foods that I’ve never heard of!!

The serving sizes are per meal. Snack portions are usually half of the serving size. Good luck

Pixie

Thanks for the quick reply….and the good luck.

Purple29

Hi Pixie

Just thought ‘d reply to your post as I am in UK too and have been wading my way through the portions for a week now -I’m certainly not hungry! I too am baffled by some of the foods and I’m envious of some of the American whole food shops I see written about in the forums, I have found sprouted grain Ezekiel bread on Amazon UK, but would appreciate any tips if you’ve located anything else. Best of luck.

paulajwatson

I’m from the uk and confused too. Are normal rolled oats ok instead of steel cut oats? How much oats am I using for my breakfast porridge? Page 105 of the book says grains are 250g. is that how much you should have throughout the day? Is that cooked weight?

Purple29

Hi Christine

Bear with me on this one, but I’ve been looking at the P1 and P3 porridge and smoothie recipes and they are inconsistent with the portion sizes detailed in the book. I’m clear on the P1 smoothie recipe, according to the threads it’s 1/2 cup uncooked or 1 cup cooked oats plus a portion of fruit, which for us Brits or anyone else who uses grammes, is 50g oats. All OK so far. The P1 porridge recipe then says 100g uncooked oats – which would equate to 1 cup -twice as much – surely the grains portion should be the same in both recipes?

Then, the P3 recipes BOTH state 50g of uncooked oats for both smoothie and porridge which is consistent across both recipes but the same amount as P1, despite the book saying grain portion sizes in P3 are smaller – in fact they’re half of P1. SO, my suggestion is that both P1 recipes should use 50g uncooked oats and both P3 recipes should use 25g of uncooked oats. This would be internally consistent and works using your guidelines for making the P1 smoothie as listed in other threads. This also makes sense to me as I really struggled to each all the porridge in both phases – in fact, I couldn’t for the P1 porridge, I ended up halving it.

Is this correct, can you please confirm grain portion sizes? Can I also suggest that fruit portions should be 150g as standard – I spent the morning in my kitchen weighing stuff including an average apple, pear etc and worked out that this seems to be the right weight. If so, please can I suggest that when the book is amended, a portion size of 150g for berries is added to the page on portion sizes (p 105) as this would made it much easier – and the porridge/smoothie recipes amended accordingly (they vary again) – unless frozen fruit is weighed out differently to fresh (ie 150g fresh berries is NOT the same as 150g frozen berries because of concentration/extra water or something).

Sorry to go on at such length, but its important that we using the right amounts as we’re all trying really hard to follow the instructions in the book and these sorts of inconsistencies make it so much harder. Many thanks.

Purple29

Hi Paula
    re oats – yes, I’ve been using normal rolled porridge oats (not the instant kind though I think these are OK as they’ve just been steamed to pre-cook them – just check your oats haven’t got any added ingredients.) and also medium oatmeal which I really like as its a little lighter than oats. Pre-soaking overnight is worth it, it really makes a difference in how quickly they cook and how thick they become. Re uncooked portion size – see my lengthy (!) post above but it’s 250g cooked porridge and this is just for one serving – it sounds a lot but isn’t. Good luck.

Melin757

So excited to start this journey tomorrow, have to say I was able to find ALL the food selections for each phase at Whole Foods, expensive but if it truly works as it says it will…it will be well worth it…cooked all the recipes for the week today and froze them, some of the ingredients take time to cook and my work schedule is not conducive to cooking every night…here we go…I’ll check back in a week!

ou812

I am 260 pounds and want to be 130. With these portion sizes I would have to eat 14 oz of hamburger per meal. Regular serving size wanting to lose 20 pounds = 4oz. I have 5 times the 20 pounds to lose which at 1/2 serving each additional 20 pounds is an extra 2 + 1/2 serving. at one meal??? A snack of grapefruit would be 3 whole grapefruit. I do not think I can physically eat that much. This cannot be right????

Bochylski

@ou812….Im in the same boat as you! Im currently 269 and want to get down to 150. Im on day 2, and Im starving! Im confused a bit with portion sizes, so if anyone could shed some light on it, it would be fantastic!

Pixie

@Purple29 Hi. Good to see someone else from the UK on here. You’re just a few days ahead of me, how are you getting on? I never thought of looking for bread on Amazon! Thanks, I’ll check it out. Holland and Barret have almond butter on offer at £2.79 a jar so I’m going to get some of that.

Melin757 Are you in the UK? There are only a few Whole Food stores here and most seem to be in London. I clicked on online shopping on the website but it’s just for large amounts for catering for events :-(

Purple29

Hi Pixie

Hope it’s going well. I’m really enjoying this “nutritional programme” – apart from the dreaded P2 days of course, but hey, it’s only 2 days a week. Am in day 2, P1 w3, and have lost 5 lbs so far but happy with this as I feel great and not hungry. Starting to think I can maybe eat like this – with a few slight additions, always. How are you doing? Thanks for the tip about almond butter – I really like it – have you tried it stirred into P3 porridge instead of the nuts? I used to do it for my daughters when they were babies. Try Holland and Barratt for spelt pasta and gluten free pretzels too – I found them there the other day. Good luck.

Pixie

Hi Purple

I’m W2 P3 day 1 and I’ve lost4.5lbs so far – 3.5lbs the first week and only 1lb this week. I think that might have something to do with stress factors – I’m a supply teacher and my assignment at the school that I’ve been working at since September finished on Friday (with a Class Assembly that I had to prepare), I’ve got the stress of writing the children’s reports this week, I had a routine medical check on Thursday but I need further tests/scan.

I haven’t been hungry at all on this “nutritional programme” and,like you, I don’t like P2 but at least we’ve got P3 to look forward to! Even though I’d like to have lost a little more weight by now, I can feel the difference in my clothes.

Thanks for the tip on the spelt pasta and gluten free pretzels. There isn’t a Holland and Barret in the town where I live and I just haven’t had the time to travel to get to a store so i haven’t had the almond butter yet. I have used almond milk in my porridge instead of nuts.

Yes, I think I could carry on eating like this, with a few tweaks, forever. I’m going for a meal with the school after the 28 days is up but I automatically chose dishes that fit in with FMD.

Keep me updated how you get on.

Purple29

Hi Pixie

Sorry to hear you’re feeling stressed. Have you managed a massage? I’d really recommend it if you can find somewhere, especially if you combine it with aromatherpy oils and its perfect for P3.

Pixie

Hi Purple29

I’d love to have a massage but I can’t afford one at the moment. I’m out of work as from Friday and FMD itself is costing quite a bit.

I’ve found an online shop that sells lots of the grains: quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat and has spelt pasta and buckwheat noodles. It also sells the sprouted wheat bread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.