Jerky???

Home Forums Recipes and Food Jerky???

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  FMD Follower 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

tmenglish

Is there such a thing as a store brand of jerky (I would perfer turkey over beef) that does NOT have added sugar in it? I’m assuming that in order to be FMD friendly, it shouldn’t have any added sugar in the ingredients. If you have some, where did you get it?

I’m thinking I will have to make my own.

Thanks in advance!

Tina

4lbuquerque

Homemade is the way to go.

FMD Follower

I didn’t know what tamari was so I looked it up. Basically it’s a thicker wheat-free version of soy sauce.

I thought there was no soy on this diet. Can anyone tell me why it’s ok on this diet if edamame isn’t?

iamjojo

oh oh–would love to make or find good salt free healthy turkey breast jerky!

Homemade Beef Jerky:

Appropriate for Phase Two of The Fast Metabolism Diet

Makes 4 to 5 servings

1 to 1 1/2 pounds organic beef round steak

1/4 cup tamari

Juice of 1 lime or lemon

1/2 tsp. onion salt

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1/8 tsp. sea salt

1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Trim and discard all fat from the meat. Cut into strips approximately 5 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.

In a large, resealable plastic bag, combine the remaining ingredients. Add the meat to the bag, seal bag, and toss to coat. Refrigerate and let marinate for 8 hours or overnight.

Drain and discard the marinade. Put the meat in a dehydrator (if you have one) or on wire racks with a foil-lined baking sheet underneath. Arrange meat strips 1/4 inch apart on racks.

Bake uncovered at 200 degrees for 6 to 7 hours, or until meat is dry and leathery. Remove from oven; cool completely. Refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container.

Cheers!
    Rachel

Follow my Fast Metabolism Diet Pinterest Board for yummy food ideas!

LauraT

FMD Follower-In the book she explains why no soy in Rule #4. She says that Braggs or Tamari are extracts from fermented soy and not the same as regular soy products.

For myself, I can use both Braggs and Tamari and have no effect but boy do I have issues with regular soy products.

Abigail0025

I have made my own now twice. The first time it was far too salty!
    I used Braggs liquid aminos and OOOH boy it was painful to eat. This time I diluted it with water, used FAR less spices and its pretty good. I also have been making this in my oven. Just put it at 175 prop open the oven door a little and your set! I did see today that she recommends Sheltons jerky. they are chicken and turkey jerkys. You can order online…. (I acutally might take a trip over there since they are located only 30 minutes away!!)

iamjojo

I see the recipe for beef jerky…looking at the price of Sheltons, tnk I would rather make my own turkey jerky…any good recipes out there??? Thanks! :-)

Dania

Check out Vitacost.com. They have shelton’s and their prices are great. (They have many other foods/ ingredients for the FMD.). I’ve used them for years. They’re great!

FMD Follower

LauraT – Thanks for clarifying that for me. I appreciate you taking the time.

TaraAnn

Anyone know if venison jerky would be ok? I think it is a lean meat. I would make it myself. Not sure if the store bought seasoning and cure would be ok though, I would have to check the ingredients. The beef seasoning may be ok on it though.

lorlem

The homemade jerky is so fabulous!

However, here is what I’m running into….

For 4-5 servings it states taking 1.5 lbs of uncooked turkey to make the jerky. On the phone app, it says that a snack size is 4oz.

After you make it and divide it up I had 3 portions after weighing it out. And they seemed huge at only 3oz.

Is the snack size of 4 oz. accurate?

iamjojo

I think the amount of 2 oz is correct–as stated in the book…..I do not think the app has the correct amounts for the snack size
    Are using a recipe in the book for homemade jerky—-or another one? Thanks!

lorlem

hi iamjojo!

I used the recipe from the book. I don’t see anything regarding 2oz. in the book?! but, that seems more reasonable probably!
    The app definitely says 4 oz.!

Dania

The app is incorrect. Haylie mentioned it on her FB page and an update should be coming soon for the app for corrections. Also, it may be mentioned in the thread for recipe updates (or something similar)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.