Are the Legumes Counted as Portion of Grains/Starch?

Home Forums General FMD Forum Are the Legumes Counted as Portion of Grains/Starch?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Leida 1 year ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Leida

Hi, I would like to start the diet, but I am not sure how to deal with legumes for meal composition and portion control. Are they counted as a serving of grains on Ph1 and Ph3?

Thank you!

sooz

Nope, they are considered vegetable proteins, the portion is 1/2 cup (measured cooked). Check the master lists.

Leida

So, how do you integrate them, as proteins? Wouldn’t you fall awfully short on protein, considering 1/2 cup beans is ~ 7 g protein, and tuna is good 30g?

audrey427

I think they are either/or… she does say in the book for a couple of the recipes that they have so many beans in them that they count as your starch/grain for that meal and no need to have another grain (eg: turkey/buffalo chili). And since they are not allowed on phase 2, that further indicates they are considered a grain. They do provide protein, but as you pointed out Leida, they are not as densely packed as animal protein. But if you are veggie, I believe you would eat more of them and would get enough protein so they can satisfy both protein and grain requirement…

how’s that for confusing? Any admins out there who can help?

Epie

I plugged my first week of nutrition into MFP as a vegetarian. I did just fine on protein each day (especially p2). 1/2 cup base portion is a serving of protein, but not okay for p2 as they are higher in carbohydrate than needed for p2.

P1 – beans, quinoa
    P2 – egg whites, protein powder (not strictly FMD, but I got one that closely aligned w Haylie’s pp ingredients), were the bulk of what I ate (vegans would be getting soy, which provides enough protein)
    P3 – whole eggs, beans

Yes, the protein intake is going to vary from an Omni to veg version, but I found that I got plenty enough. Most North Americans get more protein than we actually need on a daily basis.

I guess you could eat more beans at a time to satisfy the equivalent of protein and grain requirements, but there’s really no need to, unless you want to make the chili or soup recipes but omitting the meat content if you are vegetarian (I should probably experiment with this and report back!).

sooz

only little thing Epie – quinoa is a grain :)

Leida

It’s actually a seed, but vegetarians use seeds, nuts, and beans as protein sources.

I was more interested in using legumes as a starch/grain in Ph1/Ph3, since there is only so much millet and buckwheat I can enjoy.

I dunno, I am pondering this WOE, and there are couple of things that are off-putting to me.

Thank you for your responses, everyone!

Epie

I know quinoa is a pseudo-grain, but I was trying to address that I met protein requirements from FMD from the veg options presented.

@Leida, FMD has been awesome in shrinking my belly, giving me glowing skin (for real, people I haven’t seen in a few months told me I looked great!), and upping my energy level. I haven’t felt at all stuck with grain options, as I usually have gf sprouted grain bread and quinoa in phase 3, and millet, buckwheat, and brown rice (either rice itself or pasta) in phase 1.

The biggest problem as a vegetarian on FMD is meeting protein requirements in phase 2 being that egg whites are not my favourite thing to eat (love whole eggs, but not just the whites). I intend to break the only vegans can have soy rule in p2, and have egg whites, protein powder, and one block of tofu for 2 servings in p2 now that I’ve done one round of FMD properly.

Leida

Epie, glad it works. I prefer not to eat grains. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.